Michael P. Stefanic
Michael P. Stefanic | Partner
For Mr. Stefanic, being a lawyer is much like being a parent. Every day brings a new and exciting challenge.
You have to be prepared for anything. You need to be able to answer the question why. You have to be able to negotiate the benefits and risks of major decisions.
Some decisions have profound and lasting consequences on the life of a person who trusts you to help guide them to the right decision.
Mr. Stefanic takes pride in standing up for his clients in the courtroom, the intense thrill of the litigation process, and walking into a courtroom knowing he’s prepared and ready to go to battle for his client.
He has been a litigator for over 27 years. He is a partner of Anderson, Julian & Hull LLP, and holds an AV peer rating which is defined as preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
During his years of practice, Mr. Stefanic has developed significant experience in all facets of insurance defense law, as well as personal injury litigation.
Mr. Stefanic routinely defends a wide variety of cases involving:
- Automobile liability claims
- Property and casualty claims including dog bites
- Slip and falls and fire litigation
- Product liability claims and appeals
He has successfully defended insurance companies with respect to bad faith litigation.
Mr. Stefanic has routinely counseled and advised insurance clients on issues relating to all aspects of insurance defense law, including issues relating to coverage, bad faith and under-insured/uninsured claims.
Mr. Stefanic has been a litigator for over 27 years. He is a partner of Anderson, Julian & Hull LLP, and holds an AV peer rating which is defined as preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell. During his years of practice, Mr. Stefanic has developed significant experience in all facets of insurance defense law, as well as personal injury litigation. Mr. Stefanic routinely defends a wide variety of cases involving automobile liability claims, property and casualty claims including dog bites, slip and falls and fire litigation, as well as product liability claims and Appeals. He has also successfully defended insurance companies with respect to bad faith litigation. Mr. Stefanic has also routinely counseled and advised insurance clients on issues relating to all aspects of insurance defense law, including issues relating to coverage, bad faith and under-insured/uninsured claims.
In his career, Mr. Stefanic has had numerous successful outcomes in personal injury suits with injuries ranging from traumatic brain injury, quadriplegia to wrongful death. He has also had numerous successful outcomes in homeowners, automobile and business related claims including slip and falls, dog bites, motor vehicle accidents, commercial vehicle accidents and sexual harassment/discrimination claims. The following is a representative sample of recent favorable results he has obtained in litigated cases:
- Successful defense of a trip and fall claim brought by a social guest against an absentee landlord for significant injuries (Plaintiff severed a main nerve in his arm resulting in permanent nerve damage) suffered when the social guest fell through a bay window (at night) that had been removed by the landlord and was being stored on the property. Summary Judgment was awarded in favor of Mr. Stefanic’s client. The matter was recently upheld on appeal by the Idaho Supreme Court. Stiles v. Amundson, ____ Idaho _____, _____ P.3d ______ (2016).
- Successfully obtained Summary Judgment in favor of an insurance company in a bad faith case where the Insured alleged damages in excess of $12,000,000.00. The case was upheld on appeal by the Idaho Supreme Court. Sprinkler Irrigation Company v. John Deere Insurance Company, 139 Idaho 691, 85 P.3d 667 (2004).
- Defense verdict in a negligence and intentional tort case brought by a homeowner against her neighbor for the alleged wrongful shooting of her pet dog in the neighborhood cul-de-sac (claiming intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress for witnessing the shooting). Mr. Stefanic represented the shooting neighbor, insured under a homeowner’s policy. The Plaintiff’s case was sponsored by PEDA. The defense required the use of ballistic and firearm experts, as well as psychologists and psychiatrists regarding the Plaintiff’s claimed emotional injuries and damages. The jury rendered a defense verdict in favor of Mr. Stefanic’s client.
- Successful defense of local church with respect to a claim of alleged sexual misconduct by a youth member against another youth at a church event. Claimed damages exceeded $100,000.00. The Plaintiff ultimately dismissed the lawsuit with zero ($0.00) paid in indemnity (2013).
- Successful defense of a national manufacturer of retail shelving, where the plaintiff was rendered a quadriplegic and subsequently died from injuries resulting from the alleged defective shelving. The case was resolved for substantially less than defense costs (which would have exceeded $50,000.00), even though the Plaintiff claimed damages well in excess of $1,200,000.00 (2014).
- Successful defense of a major pharmaceutical retailer with respect to a negligent filling of a prescription (anti-depressant medication Trazodone instead of pain killer Tramadol). The case resolved for significantly less than $10,000.00, and substantially less than the cost of defense, even though the Plaintiff claimed damages in excess of $200,000.00 (2015).
- Successful defense of a slip and fall claim brought by a postal-worker against a home owner during winter months in Idaho. The Plaintiff ultimately dismissed the lawsuit, with zero ($0.00) paid in indemnity (2015).
- Successful defense of a bicycle/automobile accident. The Plaintiff ultimately dismissed the lawsuit, with zero ($0.00) paid in indemnity (2016).
- Successful defense of a discrimination claim (based on handicap status and subsequent retaliation) with a finding of “no cause” by the Idaho Human Rights Commission (2016).
Mr. Stefanic serves on the Board of Directors for the Boise Gems, an American Legion baseball organization. Mr. Stefanic also serves on the Idaho Professional Conduct Board for attorneys in the State of Idaho.
- Professional Malpractice: Attorney/Accountant Malpractice
- Employment Law: Wrongful Termination, Discrimination/EEOC/Idaho Human Rights Commission
- Commercial Law: Contract Disputes, Contract Preparation and Review, LLCs and Other Business Formations
- Personal Injury: Auto Accidents, Slips and Falls, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- Insurance Defense: Auto Claims/Accidents, Homeowner Claims/Accidents, Commercial Property Claims/Accidents
- Mr. Stefanic graduated in 1985 from The Colorado College.
- He obtained his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Idaho in 1989.
- He was a member of the National Moot Court Team (1988-1989).
- Idaho State Bar, member
- Colorado State Bar
- Defense Research Institute
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel
- Boise Adjusters Association (President 2001)
- American Inns of Court
- Member of the Idaho Professional Conduct Board for Idaho attorneys
- Best Attorneys in Idaho since 2013
- Best Lawyer in America 2013 – present for Personal Injury Litigation
- Defendants and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Bencher, American Inns of Court, No. 130, 2014 – present
- Board of Directors, Boise Gems, an American Legion Baseball Club